Health Canada presides over birth of billion-dollar free market in marijuana
They must, therefore, put an immediate end to their cycle of violence and opt for dialogue. The longer this violence continues, the more difficult it becomes to resolve. Enough is enough! Survivors story One of the students that survived the attack, Ibrahim Mohammed, said: The extremists rode into the college in two double-cabin pickup all-terrain vehicles and on motorcycles. Some were dressed in Nigerian military camouflage. They appeared to know the layout of the college, attacking the four male hostels, but avoiding the one hostel reserved for women. We ran into the bush. Nobody is left in the school now Tambuwal reacts Tambuwal said the latest act, coming barely two months after a similar incidence at Government Secondary School, Mamudo, also in Yobe State, had gone beyond the realm of humanity as no reason could justify such dreadful acts. The Speaker, in a statement issued in Abuja by his Special Adviser on Media and Public Affairs, Malam Imam Imam, tasked security agencies to redouble their efforts and change their tactics, especially now that those engaged in the killings had increased their attacks on softer targets. He said the only way to console the families of the victims and Nigerians was by fishing out perpetrators of the dastardly act and bringing them to justice. He said: We in the House of Representatives feel the grief and pain of the families of the victims. In this their hour of need, we will stand with them hand in hand, shoulder to shoulder. We want to assure them that as brothers, we will continue to confront the threats of terror confronting our nation, and we know we will come out stronger, and victorious. While expressing sympathy with the families of the victims, Tambuwal urged Nigerians to be more vigilant and help security agencies with useful information that will help to secure their areas.
Essentially, any wireless device including cellphones and tablets that was reported lost or stolen may no longer be activated or reconnected. All a consumer needs to do when his wireless device had been stolen or lost is to report its unique IMEI (International Mobile Equipment Identity) number to law enforcement agencies. This in turn will be reported into the database, prompting Canada’s mobile service providers to take heed of the unit with the stolen IMEI number. Any attempts to reconnect, use or have the smartphone reactivated will eventually become futile. Canada Launches Database of Stolen, Lost Smartphone s (http://www.protectyourdata.ca/) “Canadians are among the world’s fastest adopters and heaviest users of sophisticated smartphones,” Bernard Lord, Canadian Wireless Telecommunications Association (CWTA) president and CEO, said in a statement. “Not only will this national blacklist help to make their smartphones a less valuable target for criminals, but the industry has also taken steps to help Canadian consumers identify if a pre-owned device has previously been reported as lost or stolen.” Moreover, Canadians who are out to purchase a new smartphone or wireless device may check if the gadget they are planning to buy has been reported stolen or lost. The Web site ProtectYourData.ca includes a convenient tool wherein Canadians only have to simply enter the IMEI number of a wireless device to find out if it has been blacklisted in Canada. If the IMEI number has been blacklisted, that device will not be able to be used on any participating Canadian network. The consumer look-up feature, the first of its kind in the world that utilises the GSMA IMEI Database, will include blacklisted devices that have been reported as lost or stolen as of September 30, 2013 and beyond. “This new system offers wireless subscribers a tremendously enhanced level of protection, by essentially making stolen handsets useless to the thief,” Ed Antecol, VP Regulatory, WIND Mobile, said. “This is an important step forward in the fight against mobile phone theft and unauthorized use.” “Black-listing lost and stolen devices will essentially eliminate the black market for stolen devices in Canada and the U.S. by reducing the value of mobile devices for criminals,” Ron Styles, SaskTel president and CEO, said. To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail: To contact the editor, e-mail:
“We’re fairly confident that we’ll have a healthy commercial industry in time,” Sophie Galarneau, a senior official with the department, said in an interview. “It’s a whole other ball game.” The sanctioned birth of large-scale, free-market marijuana production comes as the Conservatives pillory Liberal Leader Justin Trudeau’s campaign to legalize recreational marijuana. Health Canada is placing no limits on the number of these new capital-intensive facilities, which will have mandatory vaults and security systems. Private-dwelling production will be banned. Imports from places such as the Netherlands will be allowed. Already 156 firms have applied for lucrative producer and distributor status since June, with the first two receiving licences just last week. The old system fostered only a cottage industry, with 4,200 growers licensed to produce for a maximum of two patients each. The Mounties have complained repeatedly these grow-ops were often a front for criminal organizations. The next six months are a transition period, as Health Canada phases out the old system by March 31, while encouraging medical marijuana users to register under the replacement regime and to start buying from the new factory-farms. There are currently 37,400 medical marijuana users recognized by the department, but officials project that number will swell more than 10-fold, to as many as 450,000 people, by 2024. The profit potential is enormous. A gram of dried marijuana bud on the street sells for about $10 and Health Canada projects the legal stuff will average about $7.60 next year, as producers set prices without interference from government. Chuck Rifici of Tweed Inc.